[mythtv-users] Secondary viewing location help

jansenj jansenj+myth at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 17:36:22 UTC 2008

"cheaply as possible"

> What's the budget?  Cheaply as possible doesn't really help define what the
> top end is.  Realistically, any processor of recent quality (2Ghz or more) +
> an XvMC capable video card (FX5200) can play back HD material just fine.  I
> would think you could find/build a machine like that rather cheaply.
> Kevin

I have an old FX5200 AGP, but the fastest Proc I have for that is AMD
XP 1400+, and the reason I upgraded Mboard and Proc was because it was
starting to misbehave.  The bigger problem with assembling older
parts, cases, power supplies is the wife acceptance factor of having a
full size PC in the kitchen as well as power consumption if it is
tucked away somwhere!  Granted, I could locate it elsewhere and run
the cables through the attic and walls, but then I need to deal with
remotely controlling it as well.  All the little costs are going to
add up.

If I need a dedicated solution for a frontend, I'm guessing I'd best
go the route of Apple TV.

So then does anyone have any feedback on feasibility of option 4 I
described earlier?

<snip from original message />
4. Cheapest option would be if I could use the existing hardware to
mirror the digital video and spdif audio on the analog counter parts
(TV out of the video card and headphone jack of the audio), then run
analog cables to by second viewing location, but I don't even know
where to start or if it is even possible with this option.  I realize
using this option as stated would only allow 1 recording to play at a
time, but that is acceptable for now.  I'm guessing someone has
thought of this before, but I have yet to see any indication that
anyone has done it.  Basically run two independent frontend sessions
off the same CPU.