[mythtv-users] Secondary viewing location help

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Sep 3 16:47:19 UTC 2008

On Sep 3, 2008, at 9:36 AM, jansenj wrote:

> I have an HD fontend/backend currently connected to an HD TV via DVI
> and spdif to my amp.  I am trying to come up with a solution to be
> able to watch my recordings in another room as cheaply as possible.
>
> Here's the catch I just use OTA (hdhomerun), so 90% of my recordings
> are HD bandwidth.  Note: I do have wired Ethernet to the secondary
> viewing location.
>
> So I've got a few thoughts and looking for any comments or feedback.
>
> 1. For $230 I could get an AppleTV, but its not clear to me how easy
> it is to get that working for HD recordings, if I went this route, I'd
> love to maintain the apple SW for the ability to rent movies if I
> desired. Either way, cracking the unit would not be an option as I
> don't have or have easy access to an Intel Mac.  Is this still a
> viable option for processing 1080i MPEG2 using a myth gui on an Apple
> TV?  I've read several success stories for using Apple Tv for SD
> recordings, but not as many for HD recordings.

Note that you cannot watch movies you bought from the iTunes store on
your AppleTV if you're connected via DVI (assuming HDMI -> DVI). They
require you use component out to watch purchased stuff. Annoying, I
know. That aside, there are instructions on how to dual-boot the
machine. I opted to blow away the Apple software when I realized I
couldn't watch purchases on my AppleTV played back on my Apple Cinema
Display.

That said, my OTA HDHomeRun/pcHDTV-5500 recordings play back quite
nicely on my AppleTV with Mythbuntu frontend installed. You need to
use XvMC to play back, but it works without a hitch.

-Brad