[mythtv-users] Fall cable reruns and mythTV

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 13:29:08 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 5:59 PM, <mons37318 at mypacks.net> wrote:

> written for a TV site - so replace each instance of "DVR" with "mythTV" and
> adjust accordingly (I do have a Pilot search, but it onlt catches real first
> run pilots AFAIK)
>
> ----
>
> each fall (and other times during the season) not only do the networks
> start to air their new "season" but also, I've noticed, the indies and the
> cable nets start airing "new" reruns of series they have not yet rerun
> before.
>
> Is there any rhyme or reason (or date) for this or any way to figure out
> what's out there in rerunland, other that putting random searches in your
> DVR and waiting...? (which only works if you know what you are looking for)

Yes.  Myth has an option in the recording options to record new episodes
only assuming that your guide provider properly marks episodes as repeats or
not.

Another option is to set shows to record "on this channel only" if the
reruns occur on channels different than the one you record on.  If new
episodes occur on multiple channels (HD + SD) then you can use Power
Searches to find a particular title WHERE channel = X or Y using some SQL.

The final option is to just let Myth record on any channel and then go into
Upcoming recordings and mark as "Never record" for any episodes you know
you've seen and Myth will not record them.

Kevin