[mythtv-users] mythbuntu backend still crashing

James Walker jameswalker at clear.net.nz
Wed Sep 3 02:57:55 UTC 2008

> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 11:14 AM, Brad DerManouelian
> <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>>
>> For posterity, I'm runnning the i386 version of Mythbuntu, imported
>> the database I was using on the x86_64 version (so.. same exact
>> settings) and I haven't seen a crash in 2 days. This, opposed to
>> several crashes a day, particularly when starting recordings, but not
>> always. Sorry I don't have the patience to look into it more and file
>> a bug report. Now that I have a viable work-around, I'm leaving my
>> system alone for a while.
>
> This is quite similar to my experience.  In my case, the backend
> process crashed every time I switched in and out of LiveTV.  This was
> with an Asus M3A motherboard and an AMD Phenom Quad Core.  The i386
> version is a lot more solid though sometimes either the frontend or
> backend processes still die with a segmentation fault.
>
> If I may ask, what's your MB/CPU/RAM config?  Because I'm thinking
> about getting an Intel-based combo and trying the 64-bit version
> again.  May be it's more stable than an AMD one.

I run an AMD phenom with asus MB as a backend mythbuntu server (64-bit
version) with dual dvb-s cards. The server process might crash once every
1 to 1.5 months. A simple cron watching script brings it back up
automatically.

I think this is pretty good given this same machine runs 10 qemu VMs and
acts as the houses samba server.

Cheers,
James.