[mythtv-users] Fastest RAID for HD?

David Madsen david.madsen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 18:05:29 UTC 2008

I've used something similar to this for a while.

http://www.addonics.com/products/raid_system/mst4.asp

It still may end up costing more than just a regular case though.  The
case itself has 4 3.5" mounting bays (no trays, just regular screw
mounts like any 3.5" bay), and it has some brackets in the back to
mount the interface. It also includes a small power supply and fans
for the case.  I am personally using the Multilane interface which
connects 4 disctinct SATA connections through one Infiniband cable to
a breakout bracket which then connects back into 4 individual SATA
headers on the motherboard.  This has been working fine at 1.5Gbps but
I don't believe these cables are rated for 3Gbps which probably isn't
an issue anyway since all the drives have their own dedicated
interface.

There are some other connection options, like using SATA port
multiplexers, or USB/Firewire interfaces available as well by just
swapping the bracket in the back.  You can think of it as a "choose
your own enclosure" if you will.  I haven't had any issues with it
since I set it up and have been pleased with the end result so far.

--David Madsen