[mythtv-users] HD Homerun possible to capture stream with no mythtv installed yet?

diane mittnik dianemittnik at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 03:56:07 UTC 2008

I haven't spec'd out a computer yet for mythtv.  I was waiting for AMD to
release some faster phenoms that are low-power (65 watt), but so far 1.8 GHz
is it (was waiting for the 2 GHz phenom, 4 core, that was supposed to be
released in August).  Since another thread on the HD-PVR states that because
the HD-PVR only does single-slice recording and won't put multiple cores to
use, therefore requires a high MHz dual-core cpu instead of a lower MHz (and
lower power cost) but more cores (4) cpu, I've decided to wait (for
faster/low power cpus coming) rather than commit to ordering parts and
building a mythtv computer I know I won't be happy with in 6 months.

In the meantime...if I can catch the HDHomerun on sale with free shipping
again, will it be possible to "record" OTA programs by capturing the stream
somehow?  Will I also be able to "capture" sound as well?  I'm thinking if I
can dump the stream to a file by using a cron job to capture the streams
when the programs I want to record are playing... is this possible?

Is a command line sufficient to capture a video/audio stream and also tune
the HDHomerun to a certain channel for the capture?  If not, can I pre-tune
the HDHomerun to a certain channel, capture via a cron job, then manually
change the channel on the HDHomerun through a command line or other manual
method to record a different channel...

If possible, this would also allow others who are assembling parts for a
mythtv computer to start capturing some programs while the computer is being
assembled or while waiting for other parts to arrive.  Or just to test while
the mythtv computer is otherwise busy/unavailable.

Currently using Debian Etch (with backports.org, 2.6.24 or 2.6.25), will
move to Lenny (with a backported up-to-date kernel) when it's stable, if it
matters.

Thanks,

D.