[mythtv-users] Delays in navigating Guide

Norm mlists at dressler.ca
Tue Sep 2 02:15:49 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 18:31 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> Norm wrote:
> >
> > I've recently upgraded from a P-4 3ghz to an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual
> > Core Processor 5000+ with 2Gb of RAM.  Using an on-board Nvidia
> > 7050PV/nForce 630a video card.
> >
> > I installed Mythbuntu 8.04 32-bit edition.  (I did try the 64-bit but
> > wanted the extra windows codecs).
> >
> > Runs great watching live TV HD or otherwise via firewire.  The problem
> > is the guide.  When I jump to the guide, I can't seem to easily navigate
> > it without it freezing momentarily.
> > I've added the mysql optimizations from the wiki.
> > I run daily the purge script to clean up old guide data.
> > I weekly run the optimize_database scripts so I don't know why it does
> > this.
> >
> > CPU is not burdened watching live TV. Has anyone seen something similar?
> > Any suggestions are welcome!
>
> Is this when you bring up the guide while watching liveTV? (as opposed
> to the schedule recordings guide).
>
> I had a similar problem which went away when I switched to the "slim"
> playback profile.
>
> This was with an Athlon64 3700, single core, so I assumed I was taxing
> the CPU, but it might have something to so with your situation.
>
> So the question is, what playback profile are you using?

Wow -- didn't think the profile would cause this but I switched from
High Quality to Slim and the freezing is gone for the most part.
Quality, especially in HD didn't seem to be affected, although the guide
seemed to hesitate a little bit more in HD.

Is this due to the on-board graphics or would this be expected results?

Thanks!
Norm