[mythtv-users] Motherboards: help me understand my choices

Sixten Otto himself+myth at sfko.com
Mon Sep 1 14:47:37 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Allen Edwards
<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) Buy an Intel board.  On the phone with Asus the conclusion as to why my
> board would not boot with the nvidia drivers and the Air2PC board;  AMD
> chipsets are not very good.  Intel chipsets have fewer compatability
> problems.

Browsing over the stuff on Newegg (and discussions online), there seem
to be quite a few different Intel chipsets being used. Any opinions /
conventional wisdom on choosing one over another?

> 5) Don't use XvMC.  It can work, but it isn't worth the trouble.  Newer PCs
> don't need it. Use SLIM if you don't have the power.

SLIM?

> 6) If  you are going to use mythbuntu, if you have any problem when you are
> installing, like click x instead of y, start over.

After the (fruitless) struggles I had trying to get my old box working
right with 8.04 (a driver issue, I believe), I feel like I could
install Mythbuntu with my eyes closed. :-/

Sixten