[mythtv-users] Ubuntu runlevel question

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Wed Oct 29 18:48:07 UTC 2008

jansenj wrote:

> Nothing like being a bit of a jerk on a users forum!
> And B, nothing you've provided here really answers the question I had!
>
> I needed to be in a multi-user/ssh enabled mode without anything
> graphical running.  Besides, I never said the info wasn't out there,
> all I said was that I wasn't finding it.  I had to figure out how to
> modify what is assigned to runlevel 2 by default, and set my default
> runlevel to 3, giving me the ability I've had in the past with other
> distros.

Calm down, I just wanted to provide a solution, I had no other intent.
It was not clear in your OP that you were looking to change the
*default* runlevel (as opposed to a temporary change).

Did you solve it eventually?
There's plenty of info out there, including the /etc dir on your system.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=ubuntu+configure+default+init+level&btnG=Google+Search

Using my 7.10 system as a reference - look at /etc/event.d/rc-default,
either change the "runlevel 2" commands to something else (dirty
solution IMO) or go ahead and create a new /etc/inittab with
"id:N:initdefault:" in it (N being the new default runlevel). The latter
is a much cleaner solution IMO.

Or even simpler, if all you want is to disable X, just disable gdm as a
service - use either rcconf or update-rc.d to disable the gdm service.
Reboot and voila, a text-mode system that's otherwise identical to the
previous X-enabled state.

It looks like Ubuntu has a slightly different philosophy than Red Hat.
On RH, you would change between runlevels 3 and 5 to accomplish this. On
Ubuntu, looks like the popular solution is to simply disable gdm. Both
have advantages and disadvantages, I would just follow the crowd.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/