[mythtv-users] Popcorn Hour Unit as VIdeo Output?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Oct 29 13:13:58 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 11:30:15PM -0400, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> jedi wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 04:32:49PM -0400, R. G. Newbury wrote:
[deletia]
> >     Something along the lines of a cross between appletv and the popcorn
> > hour would be wicked though... IOW, a popcorn hour that could be treated
> > as a regular PC through dedicated hacking while still retaining the
> > ability to use the h264 acceleration hw.
> >
> >     quad core systems are already starting to get pretty cheap though...
>
> Since posting my question, I saw on the popcorn site that it will accept
> streams from UPnP servers...so it might possibly be used as a
> 'video-out' from myth if the mythbox (BE, controlled by separate FE)
> were a UpnP server..(This would invert the usual control structure where
> the video goes through the FE to the screen,,,,), Just wondering..
>
> And would a quad core be twice (ok, 1.8) times "faster" than a core 2
> duo? Is that the sort of jump we should expect? Cause, I guess the
> mythbox motherboard may be mounted in the office desktop sometime pretty
> soon!

    The impression I get from the other guys that have Quad Core systems
is that a fast quad core can pretty much handle anything you would want
to throw at it. My RAID box is going to be a Quad. So I will definitely
be using it as testbed for mythfrontend.

    I could see a quad mini or a cheaper quad dell studio hybrid making
the popcorn hour a lot less appealing. Then there's all the h264
acceleration and other interesting GPU stuff that's supposed to be on
the horizon.

    The first general purpose machine in Linux that can do full hw accel
of h264 will be a very popular machine (at least around here anyways).