[mythtv-users] Why RAID 5 stops working in 2009

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 08:00:39 UTC 2008

On Oct 28, 2008, at 12:45 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:

> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> That's when you make the decision, "Do I keep 1 month of recordings
>> and not worry about losing any of them or do I keep 2 months of
>> recordings and risk losing ALL of them?"
>
> Personally, if I were building a multi-disk Myth box today, I wouldn't
> use RAID for recorded video storage.  I'd use storage groups.  I don't
> care that much about losing recordings (they're just TV(tm)), and with
> storage groups I'd only lose one drive's worth, instead of all of them
> like I would with RAID 0 or LVM.
>
> Losing my recording rules would be a major pain, so RAID 1 might make
> sense for the database.  But then again, I have nightly backups for
> that.

My $0.02 -

I just bought (4) 640GB WD hard drives ($69 each on newegg) with the
specific intent of raiding them together as soon as I got them.

However, once I got them, and started plugging them in, it just made
more sense to me to mount them each on their own mount point, add them
to the storage groups, and not worry about fiddling with raid at all.
While I have no data protection, I do have 2.4TB of recording space,
and if one of the drives fails... oh well, lost a couple shows. Guess
I'll have to record them again or start searching the web. As has been
said many times before. It's just tv. If storage groups didn't exist,
THEN I would have been forced to find a way to make all the drives
appear as a single filesystem, but that is not the case, so I didn't
bother.

~Jon