[mythtv-users] blank frontend screen

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Oct 29 00:30:09 UTC 2008

On Oct 28, 2008, at 5:23 PM, Bob Hackenberg wrote:

> I have installed mythtv on my Ubuntu Hardy machine.  The machine is
> an HP 9340F with a Hauppauge HVR 1800 card. I know that the card
> works because I have no problem bringing in local digital stations
> under Microsoft Vista.  However, I live on the Linux side of the
> machine and want to be receiving TV while I am working.
>
> I think I have the software installed correctly.  I can start a
> backend server and also do a setup.  When I run the frontend, I get
> a 800x600 screen with patterned blue background but absolutely
> nothing on it.  Based on what I saw on the web, there are two
> interface styles.  By randomly clicking on various parts of the
> blank screen, I can get other screens to appear.
>
> mythtv must be talking to my tv card because at one point it scanned
> for channels and found a number of local feeds.
>
> All I really want to do is watch live programming.  Later I might
> wish to record something but at this point mythtv is a non-starter.
>
> Any idea what I need to do to get mythtv to work?

Problems with your display have to do with your video card and not
your capture card. I would guess OpenGL is not working correctly and/
or you have open source drivers loaded for your video card. Since you
haven't told us what you're using, it's hard for me to make specific
recommendations, but try using proprietary video card drivers (I think
ubuntu calls them "Restricted Drivers")

-Brad