[mythtv-users] Sending Myth Socket commands using Perl - lack of response

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Oct 28 21:43:49 UTC 2008

On 10/28/2008 05:32 PM, Seth Daniel wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 09:00:18PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 10/25/2008 12:57 PM, Stefan Janowski wrote:
>>
>>> I'm having a stab at using a Perl script to create a socket to the Myth
>>> backend and send commands.
>>>
>> Try the MythTV Perl bindings.  If nothing else, use them as a guide for
>> how to redevelop them from scratch.
> I've seen you mention this a number of times (I think it was you
> anyway).

Quite likely was me...  I mention them a lot.  :)

>   I haven't looked at the Perl code, but what exactly needs to
> be done?

To get the Perl bindings, you just need to install them and their
prerequisite Perl modules.  The Perl bindings are in the mythtv source
distribution under bindings/Perl.  TTBOMK, they're installed by default,
but you can always specify --with-bindings=perl to configure to make
sure.  If you're using packages, they may be in a different package
(check with others using your distro).

If you mean what has to be done to connect to Myth with Perl, read the
code in the bindings because it does it (and you'll likely see that it
does all the low-level stuff you're trying to do).

>   Have you listed this somewhere?  Do you have suggestions?  I'd
> be very interested in looking at this since I do Perl programming for a
> living and I have been using MythTV for nearly 2 years now.

And we'd love any patches you might make for the Perl bindings.  :)
After all, the whole idea behind the bindings is to make sure that work
is done once and reused by all Perl developers wanting to access MythTV
or MythTV data.  That way, you can create your functionality (and, if
necessary, modify/improve the bindings) without having to worry about
the low-level programming required to interact with Myth.

Mike