[mythtv-users] manually defining ATSC channel (how-to?)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Oct 28 21:07:20 UTC 2008

On 10/28/2008 04:50 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Oct 28, 2008, at 1:47 PM, Misty P wrote:
>> So there's NO way to manually define a channel ahead of time?  *none*?
>>
> You could hand-edit a channel config file and import it, but I've
> never done that and couldn't tell you what exactly needs to be done.
> I've only ever see the option to a import channel config file so I
> know it exists.

Yeah, you'll lose a whole lot more sleep reading the code to figure out
exactly what must be defined than you would setting your alarm for 3am
and doing a 2-minute channel scan on the day of the test.

And, I would lay odds that you will not define the channel correctly
(not due to any inherent inability or some such, but due to the fact
that until it's on air, the exact parameters are unlikely to be
known--you even mentioned not knowing some of the info, which is likely
important), and therefore, you will have a failed recording while you
sleep, so you won't have any idea how good the reception will be.

So, I highly recommend deciding which is more important--recording
something from the 2-hr early-morning test or sleep.

BTW, it would be a /lot/ easier to just manually tune the channel using
dvbtools and capture using dd than trying to do it through Myth.  You
could do all that via scripts (assuming you know what you're doing) run
through a cron job and don't have to figure out the complexities of
Myth's definition of DVB channels.  And, you won't have to delete the
channel from Myth at 5am if you don't configure it in Myth.

Mike