[mythtv-users] Why RAID 5 stops working in 2009

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Oct 28 18:52:51 UTC 2008

On Oct 28, 2008, at 11:41 AM, John Drescher wrote:

>>    Nope, it's the same problem. The scale is just larger. If you
>> happened to be interested in very large files, then the same old
>> problems of economics rear their ugly heads. Requirements didn't
>> all stand still as disks were getting larger. This is true all
>> around.
>>
> At work where we currently have way more storage than we need (we are
> probably at 35% of capacity). I could and have thought about this. But
> at home for myth storage the cheapness of disk space does not override
> the fact that HD programming is 4 times the size of SD so when moving
> to HD I would rather not have 1/2 the space.

That's when you make the decision, "Do I keep 1 month of recordings
and not worry about losing any of them or do I keep 2 months of
recordings and risk losing ALL of them?"
It's a personal decision. I chose the latter since I don't care about
losing TV programs all that much. If it's more important to you, you
choose the former.

My MythTV System, My Choice – or something like that.

-Brad