[mythtv-users] Just let my TV de-interlace

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Mon Oct 27 22:58:53 UTC 2008

Preston Crow wrote:

> Everything that I've heard indicates that nVidia simply doesn't do
> interlaced output correctly.  You get some weird tearing or other
> problems because the output frequency isn't right.

That might be the case for some people, but the opposite is true in my
case. I currently use 1080p for everything (it's fixed resolution for my
myth system, and mythfrontend does all the scaling and deinterlacing),
and there's a tiny tear line that descends slowly over the screen, and
then there's a small jump (a single frame is maybe either lost or
doubled, I'm not sure which) when the tear line reaches bottom. The jump
occurs approx once every 30 seconds or so.

I'm using Mythbuntu 8.04 with the latest MythTV and the latest NVidia
drivers, on a GeForce 8200 motherboard (integrated graphics chip,
technically equivalent to a standalone 8400GS card, but the RAM is
shared with the OS). TV is a 1080p-capable plasma, connection is HDMI
direct from motherboard.

I second the o.p.'s question. I want to accomplish the same thing, but
I'm not sure how.

I don't care if the deinterlacing algorithms on the TV are technically
less capable. I've seen my TV's deintelacing in action and it's good
enough for me. This point is 100% moot for me.

So, to rephrase the question:

How to enable 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i on the graphics card,
and let mythfrontend choose and switch the resolution dynamically,
depending on the content being played? The default screen resolution
(while mythfrontend displays the menus) must be 1080p.

There must be a howto somewhere, I just couldn't find it myself.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/