[mythtv-users] I can't make any progress in getting Mythtv to work

Johnny Russ jruss at mit.edu
Mon Oct 27 18:32:15 UTC 2008

> When I run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-common", I am able to change
> the username and password and they show up as I changed them in
> ?home/daryl/.mythtv/mysql.txt. I then finish going through the
> configuration page and when I click "finish" I am taken directly back to
> the beginning of the configuration page.

When you talk about the configuration page, are you referring to the
mythtv-setup pages?

> At this point I see that
> username and password are not as I have changed them, but have reverted
> back to the original "username=mythtv" and password=mythtv".
>
> It seems to me that this may be my problem, that whatever username is
> set to, it is not being recognized.

These values are stored in the database. When mythtv-setup runs it tries to
store them in the database. If it fails to access the database (there are
multiple reasons why this could happen), then I believe it goes back the
beginning with all of the default values again. Things revert to the default
values because none of the changes made could be written to the database.
There may be an issue with usernames and passwords and mysql. You can test
if things are setup correctly by trying to login to mysql on the command
line by running:

mysql -u root -p
mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg

The first command will try to log in as root. The second will try to login
to the mythconverg database as mythtv user. If you have the wrong password
or the mythconverg databse doesn't exist then you should get errors
indicating such. I am not sure what the commands are to change the mysql
password but you should be able to find that in the mythtv wiki.