[mythtv-users] OT Wall mount or other setups

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Oct 27 00:40:06 UTC 2008

As many times as this has been said before, I'll say it again. Claiming
a machine will do 720p h264 is COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS. The two primary
measurements of hardware requirements are bitrate and entropy encoding
(CABAC is more intensive than CAVLC). Beyond that, more reference frames
somewhat increase complexity, and requires additional buffer memory.  As
long as you have hardware accelerated video scaling (Xv), resolution
doesn't really matter. I doubt an Atom at 1.6GHz could handle more than
maybe 3-4Mbps, which puts it well below any 720p h264 stream you're
going to get from a legitimate source.

While the EEEBox would do perfectly fine for HD mpeg2, HD h264 really
needs considerably more power.