[mythtv-users] MythWeb "Warning: Unknown Programme" error since daylight savings change (BST to GMT)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 26 21:52:14 UTC 2008

On 10/26/2008 05:45 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 26/10/2008, Ash Bostock wrote:
>
>> My frontend has no issues at all and I can list all programmes on mythweb,
>> but if I click on any of the titles under the "Recorded Programmes" list I
>> get an error "Warning: Unknown Programme.".
>>
>> I'm not the only one either...
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6037167
>>
>> Any one have an idea of what the problem could be?
>>

> On my system, any recordings made after BST-GMT changeover are okay,
> any recorded before show the 'Unknown Programme' error and bounces me
> to the TV listings page. A majority of these older recordings still
> have thumbnails, although they have disappeared for a handful of
> recordings.
>
> I'm guessing (haven't looked) that it's due to the date/time
> processing used in MythWeb - you'll notice programme information URLs
> include an epoch-seconds-like string.
>
> MythTV still has no concept of UTC offsets (I created a ticket on trac
> earlier to reflect this) and so every six months during DST
> changeovers things can go south.

Especially if you misconfigure/don't properly configure your MythWeb host.

PHP tries to pick up the local time zone rules in use on the system on
which it runs, but it seems that on many distros, it fails to do so
properly.  Simply add the time zone to php.ini.

In other words, /every/ program that uses MythTV data (all backends and
frontends and the MythWeb host(s)) /must/ run with the same time zone
rules specified.

Though the comment is way too specific and not completely accurate, the
approach used for the fix is right here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MythWeb#Time_Stamp_is_off_by_an_hour

BTW, we go through this every 6 months.  Just check the Ubuntu archives
from 6 months ago (or a year ago or ...).

Mike