[mythtv-users] USB S/PDIF adapters

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Sat Oct 25 14:31:41 UTC 2008

On Friday 24 October 2008 05:01:15 pm Chris Niggel wrote:
> After getting settled into my new HD-capable myth box, I'd like to
> plug it into my stereo.  Has anyone had luck with a USB audio adapter
> with optical out?  I've seen a few emails on the subject roll through
> in the last few months, but without resolution.

Before you buy a USB sound device, you may want to consider another option:
Many motherboards have SPDIF connectors on their motherboards. You can buy or
build a simple bracket adapter that provides coaxial and/or optical outputs
from these motherboard connectors. Examples include:

http://www.pc2buy.com/ASUS_Motherboard_Accessories_SPDIF/SPDIF/partinfo-id-3473.html
http://www.vidabox.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_14&products_id=25

I've got an adapter from the latter of those sources and it works fine with my
motherboard (a Biostar, IIRC). Check your manual to see if you've got the
necessary connector. In some cases it may be necessary to move some wires
around, since the pin ordering isn't standardized, but that's a minor task.
Of course, you'll also need to have fully functional audio drivers for SPDIF
output.

Instructions for building your own are on the MythTV wiki:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_build_a_optical_SPDIF_bracket

IMHO, building your own is much more hassle than it's worth, unless you just
enjoy that sort of thing.

--
Rod Smith