[mythtv-users] I can't make any progress in getting Mythtv to work

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:28 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 5:37 PM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com>wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2008, at 11:14 PM, daryl wrote:
>
> > Now when I click the "finish" button I get this message "Cannot find
> > (ping) database host on network. Clicking on "ok" takes my back to the
> > first configuration page.
>
> You did install mysql server and set up the mythconverg database, right?
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User_Manual:Initial_Installation#Setup_mysql_database_mythconverg

What distribution are you running?  If ubuntu, do NOT follow those
instructions.  The mythtv-database package should have installed this for
you.

Your FIRST problem is that the username is the mysql username, not your
machine username.  This is likely mythtv (unless you manually set it up as
something else).