[mythtv-users] Why RAID 5 stops working in 2009

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Oct 24 22:11:17 UTC 2008

On Fri, October 24, 2008 1:57 pm, jedi wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 01:54:11PM -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:
>> On Fri, October 24, 2008 12:45 pm, Mache Creeger wrote:
>> > Should we just pray that although the statistics say otherwise,
>> > native RAID5 on Linux will not self-destruct when using many large
>> > capacity drives?
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>>
>> Don't use RAID 5.  Use RAID 10 instead.  See this page for a humorous
>> take
>> on why:
>> http://www.miracleas.com/BAARF/BAARF2.html
>
>     ...I've been thinking not RAID 10 but LVM on top of RAID1.

Sure, that's basically the same thing.  RAID 10 just means you're taking a
bunch of RAID 1 mirrored pairs and striping data across them RAID 0 style.
 RAID 01 is the opposite; it's taking two identically-sized RAID 0 stripes
and mirroring them.  Functionally the two are equivalent, except I think
RAID 10 has some advantages when you have to rebuild.