[mythtv-users] Why RAID 5 stops working in 2009

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 19:53:36 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Mache Creeger <mache at creeger.com> wrote:
> I have been watching the discussion that I kicked off with my post and I
> still don't have a good feeling on what we are all supposed to do for 2009.
>
> I just installed a 4 x 1TB RAID5 array for a net of 3TBs. Given the URE
> argument, the next step should be ZFS. However while a less than optimal,
> user-space-based, fuse-based, ZFS is available, a kernel-based ZFS is not
> currently available or planned because of licensing issues.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> Going forward, what are best mythtv practices for many large disk drives?

At work I have 75+ SATA / IDE drives in raid 5 and 6 arrays I and I
have no fear at all about this URE stuff. Never had a single URE in 7
years. At home I am moving away from raid for my storage. And the
reason is power management. I mean with a raid array all of your disks
will probably need to be spinning 24/7. With individual drives and
storage groups I can power down drives after a few hours of
inactivity. And I mean a few hours. I do not want my drives powering
up and down all day causing them to die prematurely.

BTW, right now I have 3 x 320 GB in raid 5 + 1 x 400 + 1 x 750 + 1 x
500. And 80 % of this is allocated to mythtv. I plan to split up the
raid 5 array soon.

John