[mythtv-users] Why RAID 5 stops working in 2009

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Fri Oct 24 16:11:39 UTC 2008

On Fri, October 24, 2008 8:58 am, Travis Tabbal wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 9:37 AM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
>

>> My one big problem with ZFS and myth is that there is no mechanism to
>> grow
>> a ZFS file system.  From a myth user's perspective, this is a bad thing
>> as
>> I depend on growing the array as need and money dictate.
>>
>> IIRC that's being worked on but it will be a long time coming if ever.
>>
>> But for that one feature, I'd be happily using ZFS.
>

> As I understand it, you can grow the storage available, just not add one
> disk at a time to the existing raidz. That is a bit of an issue, I agree.
> There are workarounds though. You can upgrade a single drive at a time and
> it will find and use the new space. You can also add another raidz to the
> pool and it will let you use that new storage with the existing
> filesystems
> in the pool. I plan to run some tests before I put a new server online to
> see how well that works in practice.

If you do that, could you please post your results on line somewhere?  I'm
in the process of getting all the pieces for a 20 disk raid box, and I
will need to make some decisions in the next couple of weeks on how to
structure the filesystem.  Right now it looks like 4 x 5 - 1TB disk RAID5
at full buildout.  I'm starting with 3 1TB drives and will grow those to
the first 5 disk RADI5 eventually.  But if ZFS can be made to grow from 3
to 5 disks, and then then stick those 5 disk bundles together, that would
be really cool.

Just to clarify, I'm looking at ZFS-fuse, not solaris.

--Yan

--
  o__

You are an adult when you realize that everyone's an idiot sometimes. You
are wise when you include yourself.