[mythtv-users] Plugging a non-TV source to a capture card line input?

Marc MERLIN marc_mtv at merlins.org
Fri Oct 24 04:40:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 05:56:30PM -0700, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Oct 23, 2008, at 5:43 PM, Marc MERLIN wrote:
>
> > If I'd like to digitize some old VCR tapes with my mythtv, how do I
> > configure my backend to do so?
> >
> > 1) mythtv-setup, add a fake lineup for line input on my WinTV
> > PVR500? (right
> >   now I only have antenna input defined)
> >
> > 2) use the manual tuner switch feature 'Y' to get to line1 on my
> > tuner card?
> >
> > 3) use manual record while the video is playing
> >
> > I'm just not sure how I can setup a fake lineup in step 1, or if
> > this is
> > even what I'm supposed to do overall?
>
> Use v4l2-ctl --set-input to set the input of your device (v4l2-ctl --
> list-input if you don't know which one to use), then cat /dev/videoX >
> myfile.mpg is much easier than setting up a fake tuner, making sure
> mythtv doesn't use it, then schedule a manual recording. Just make
> sure nothing is scheduled to record while you're using that tuner. You
> can always remove the input connections from mythtv-setup for that
> tuner, restart the backend, then put them back when you're done so you
> know it won't try to use the tune while you're recording from your VCR.

Sure, I could totally bypass mythtv and do what you say, but I was kind of
hoping to be able to see the video mostly live and be able to hit record
around the right time (yes, I know about the liveTV delay, which is why I
say "about").

I was hoping there was a supported way of doing this in mythtv, or at least
a simple hack like on a tivo, but if not, oh well...

Thanks,
Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/