[mythtv-users] "Unable to connect to mythbackend, is it running?" and other error messages

Greg Hermsen g.hermy15 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 23:15:00 UTC 2008

>>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.722 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]invalid cbp at 23 11
>>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.723 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]invalid cbp at 12 12
>>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.730 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 4 15
>>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.731 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 30 17
>>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.732 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 22 18
>>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.733 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 9 20
>>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.734 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]slice mismatch
>>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.735 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]invalid cbp at 39 21
>>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.736 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 21 25
>>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.737 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]invalid cbp at 2 24
>>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.738 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 14 25
>>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.739 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 7 26
>>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.748 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 1 27
>>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.749 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 15 29
>>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.828 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]slice mismatch
>>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.832 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]slice mismatch
>>> Segmentation fault
>>>

>> In this case, your backend segfaulted.  In order to diagnose this, you can
>> do one of two things:
>>
>> 1.  Update to the latest  -fixes code to see if this has been addressed.
>> 2.  Compile the -fixes branch with debug symbols and follow the
>> instructions on the mythtv.org website documentation for generating a
>> backtrace so that the developers can see what may be causing the crash
>>
>> This is not the same issue you had before.
>>
>> But, the fact that you have your database crashing and mythtv crashing
>> leads me to wonder if you may have a bad stick of memory causing both
>> programs to behave badly.
>>
>> Kevin

> I thought I was about ready to send a reply saying the problem was solved.
> I updated the latest -fixes code and MythTV was solid for about 24 hours.
> Last night I ran into problems again.  I wonder if my OTA viewing and
> recordings might be part of the problem.
>
>    1. I was watching a ATSC OTA recording that was pixelating, pausing and
>    breaking up.  I believe this is due to the program being broadcast from a
>    distant station, not necessarily due to the card or MythTV.  I see similar
>    picture qaulity problems on other digital TVs (not connected to myth).
>    2. The picture became bad enough that I decided to stop watching and I
>    was going to delete the program.  When I hit the stop button on the remote
>    MythTV hung for about a minute or so.
>    3. When Myth unfroze, I went into the program guide and it was empty.
>    4. When I rebooted, I was presented the the General MythTVBackend
>    screen where I had to validate the IP address, database name and password.
>    All settings were correct so I just accepted the defaults.
>    5. I immediately went to the recorded program guide and all shows were
>    there.  I watched a minute of two or three cable/analog programs and it
>    seemed like things were fine.
>    6. This morning I looked at the recorded program list and it was empty
>    again.  I rebooted (did not get the general backend screen this time) and
>    went into the recorded programs.  They all displayed again.
>
> My question is this.  My Hauppauge HVR-1600 tunes the analog cable channels
> very well.  On the digital tuner, I'm trying to tune some distant channels
> where the reception is often not too good.  Is there any known issue of
> tuning OTA digital programming with poor reception that would cause MythTV
> to run into errors?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

I was going to try compile with debug options based on instructions at
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-22.html#ss22.2.  When I typed

    "make distclean"

I got an error

    "*** No rule to make target `distclean'.  Stop."

I tried typing this in the root directory.  Was that the correct place?  Any
suggestions?

Thanks,
Greg