[mythtv-users] [mythtv] CC benchmarks and procedure list ? Was: how would one speed up the channel changing in mythtv ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 17:10:55 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 13:40 -0500, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>         On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 10:21 -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:
>         > I tend to think of channel surfing
>         > as something that's a relic of analog TV.

>         I'm running a Sonicview Elite 360 FTA receiver.  2 tuners,
>         full PVR,
>         with time shift, great EPG, PIP, super fast change times, etc.
>         Its a
>         channel surfer's delight.
>
> Not really to the point he was making.  Regardless of the content,
> tuning speed, or features, the advent of PVR and on-screen guides have
> made the habit of channel surfing a relic of the past.
>
> Guide: Why surf when you can browse what's on via the guide and choose
> what you want to watch changing channels once?
> PVR: Why browse when you can record anything you want to watch and let
> priorities and auto-expiration manage the data?

Live content and short attention spans !   Last night we watched the
election commentary on CNN, Fox, MSNBC and CSpan all at once.  It was
great.  We did PVR some of it as well.

Its not like the EPG on those shows tells you who the guests will be and
when they will appear.

Channel surfing and live TV still have their place.