[mythtv-users] [mythtv] CC benchmarks and procedure list ? Was: how would one speed up the channel changing in mythtv ?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Oct 23 17:21:01 UTC 2008

I use live TV occasionally, especially for special events like election
coverage.  I never channel surf, though, so the channel change time
doesn't bother me.  Actually, I gave up on channel surfing as soon as I
discovered online TV program guides, because it was so much easier to
just browse the guide for something I wanted to watch.  In a similar
vein, I normally use Myth's built-in onscreen guide instead of surfing
from channel to channel.  It's much faster and I don't get the
frustration of running into commercial  breaks and having to wait to see
what's on.

Incidentally, even without Myth's delays stacked on top channel surfing
on my digital STB would be pretty painful.  It takes upwards of a second
to get signal lock on a new channel.  I tend to think of channel surfing
as something that's a relic of analog TV.