[mythtv-users] Ubuntu runlevel question

jansenj jansenj+myth at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 13:45:36 UTC 2008

I know this isn't a ubuntu forum, but I am using the mythbuntu distro
like I'm sure many others in this list are as well, and I wasn't able
to find an answer on google.

I know in other distos in the past (Fedora 7 for example) I was able
to use "init 3" from runlevel 5 remotely when having problems with
graphical stuff either X sessions or vnc sessions.  I would then use
"init 5" to start back up all the graphical services.  I understand
ubuntu no longer uses this facility, rather it uses Upstart.  Is there
a command in Upstart that would achieve something similar to dropping
to runlevel using an "init 3"?  Basically, I'd rather not have to do
the windows thing and restart the computer every time there is a
problem or every time I want something to take effect.  I know I can
re-initiate an event, but all that appears to be doing is attempting
to start everything associated with that event again, I want to be
able to restart all services that were started after a given event.