[mythtv-users] Hardware questions

Krzysztof Adamski k at adamski.org
Wed Oct 22 02:45:56 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-21-10 at 22:24 -0400, Bobby Gill wrote:
>         The main thing is no monthly fees, and the best HD anywhere.
>         Since you
>         are in GTA I can answer with more details. To get the Canadian
>         channels
>         you point your antenna at the CN Tower. If you are lucky (like
>         me)
>         Buffalo is in the same direction and you will get the US
>         networks. If
>         they are in different directions then you may need two
>         antennas. If you
>         are in an apartment building facing north then you are out of
>         luck. The
>         location and height of the antenna will depend where you are
>         located.
>         You can use:
>          http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29
>         to see what stations you should be able to receive from your
>         location.
>
>         As far as what channels are available, go here for the list:
>
>         http://www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/
>
>         Also you can read this FAQ for general info about OTA HDTV:
>
>         http://www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/faq.htm

> Thanks, I was just reading those remotecentral links. Well, we are
> moving in about a month, and the new house facest the CN tower (faces
> east, we are in Brampton). Is that what you mean?
>
> Okay I checked that tvfool link, and I was only able to input Brampton
> and my street address (state/zip obviously no good for me) and I did
> so for my:
> Current house: http://img505.imageshack.us/my.php?image=antennamt5.png
> House we're moving to:
> http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=antennanewhousehf5.png

Based on this I would say you will be able to receive the American
networks with a roof mount antenna, and it looks like only one will be
needed. You would point it at the Buffalo stations, the Canadian are
stronger so they will be received without the antenna pointing at them
directly.

You should do what Colin suggested, try to see what you can get with an
indoor bow tie antenna first. Before I got anything for Myth I first
checked with a bow tie connected to a HDTV tuner that I had connected to
my TV directly. Keep in mind that you will get better reception when
trees have no leafs in the winter.

> Colin,
>
> I saw that page on the 1600. Seems okay for me as it's only going to
> be a tuner card in my use, and the bonus was it's the only one of the
> HVRs that's in PCI form factor, saving me a huge upgrade otherwise.

This is were the Silicon Dust Home Run is such a good device, it does
not require any slots in your computer (same for and USB tuner).

> Also wanted to ask about this:
> http://www.gosatellite.ca/viewsat-ultra-lite-p/viewsat-ultra-lite.htm
> My parents have this with a satellite that a friend installed late
> last year (they just use it to watch their terrible Indian soap operas
> lol). How would that work with Myth and this HD business (if at
> all) ??

If you are talking about FTA then all you would need is a DVB-S card in
a computer and Myth can record. This is the extend of my knowledge on
FTA.