[mythtv-users] Question on file size for SD digital recordings

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 20:16:33 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Aaron Klein <klein.aaron at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks.  Does that bitrate of 1GB per hour seem correct for a SD
> digital broadcast?  In reading other posts about digital that just
> seemed low to me.  Maybe my local comcast office is highly compressing
> the bitstream.  I get frequent digital reception artifacts on these
> captures but I felt that was due to having to sue beta drivers.

DirecTV's bit rate for MPEG-2 SD programs is also about 1 GB/hour.  It may
be higher for "important" channels like HBO, or lower for less important
channels like Comedy Central.

This level of compression tends to be OK for a tube TV, but shows much more
artifacts on a modern HD set.

You can believe that Comcast, DirecTV, and everyone else are relentlessly
compressing these shows until they confess.  :)

Jim