[mythtv-users] Quiet fans

Peter Loron peterl at standingwave.org
Tue Oct 21 05:18:44 UTC 2008

On Oct 20, 2008, at 7:09 PM, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:

> On Monday 20 October 2008, Peter Loron wrote:
>>> HI Peter:
>>>
>>> Thanks for looking into this.  A couple of questions:
>>>
>>> One of my cases has 1 group of 2 60mm fans, and 1 group of 2 80mm
>>> fans,
>>> a total of 4 fans.  The other has 1 group of 2 60mm fans and 1 group
>>> of
>>> 5 60mm fans, a total of 7 fans.  Would there be enough current to
>>> drive
>>> 2-3 fans from one connection or would I need to drive each fan
>>> separately?
>>>
>>> For the programmatically controlled unit, would the cost drop
>>> significantly if the LCD was dropped?
>>>
>>> Anyway, given your prices, you would probably be looking at having
>>> sell these at $50 and $25 to make it worthwhile.  I'd be in for
>>> one of
>>> each or maybe 2 of the programmable ones if I can use 1 per case.
>>>
>>> --Yan
>>
>> Assuming your case power supply can put that much current through one
>> connector, it should be doable. Looks like there are at least a few
>> people interested in this, so I'm going to move ahead with at least
>> breadboarding it.
>>
>> The LCD itself is $10 or less in quantity, and the other changes
>> needed are all in the code.
>
> It would be cool if you posted your layout and parts list when all
> is said and
> done as well. :)
>
> --
> Thomas Fjellstrom
> tfjellstrom at shaw.ca

Yeah, I've been thinking about that. I'll have to see where this
little odyssey leads, but open sourcing the schematic and the code is
very likely.

-Pete