[mythtv-users] [mythtv] CC benchmarks and procedure list ? Was: how would one speed up the channel changing in mythtv ?

Greg Estabrooks greg at phaze.org
Mon Oct 20 17:23:17 UTC 2008

 I've moved this over to mythtv-users.

> >  That time is VERY subjective. Some people have crazy long times,
> > and unfortunately not the skills or desire to fix it on their own.
>
> Please tell me more.

 I think what I said is self explainatory.

> > approximately 1 second (remote backend, decent frontend machine)
> > and 2.5-3 with my firewire stb, mainly because of the time to
> > send the channel changecommands to the box.
>
> Very interesting.  A 1 second change time is reasonable.
>
> Why don't you explain to us how one should fix the channel change times
> on their mythtv setups and we can add that to the mythtv documentation.

 Thats the thing. I did nothing, at least not on purpose, to cause it. It
just is. I've done > 30 myth installs for myself and others, and all
have similar change times. (All Slackware, but over the  years a variety
of versions). The closest I've ever seen was a problem with the TTF library
which one user upgraded.  Downgrading to the one delivered with slackware
cleared his problem right back up.

 And before you ask, no I don't have a record of what those two versions were.

 At this point someone who is actually experiencing these really long
changes is going to have to go under the hood to find out where/why.
I do have one spot in the code I was going to look at reworking which
might have an effect for some people (the preloading of CC fonts at
playback startup) but I have no idea if that will affect many or just those
on really old slow hardware.