[mythtv-users] AppleTV Clearance

MacNean Tyrrell dardack at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 01:12:34 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 11:21 AM, MacNean Tyrrell <dardack at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Not sure if it is still done, but back in the day I remember people
> posting
> > to this list where they had gotten the PVR-250 on sale.  As posted in
> > another post, was thinking of getting the AppleTV as a frontend.  Was at
> > target shopping with the family for some winter clothes.  Anyways, was
> near
> > the ipod section at one point and decided to see if they sell the
> AppleTV.
> > I saw it and it had a clearance sticker on it.  $160.00 for the 40gb
> > version.  I felt saving $69.00 was a great deal, so picked it up.  Wasn't
> > sure if your local target would have em on clearance, but thought I would
> > pass along the info, depending on how well this goes, might pick up a
> second
> > one for the bedroom.
>
> wasn't this thread on a couple of months ago? And, the units were
> fake... or the boxes were full of newspapers? Or, am I confused?

Um no idea if it was a couple months ago.  I do have an AppleTV, at least my
routers says it's AppleTV, the mac address according to
standards.ieee.orgsays it was registered to Apple, Inc, the logo looks
legit, when I boot it
it seems legit, connects to Apple's store for movies and what not.  Wasn't
full of newpapers, the little remote is in there, 6 buttons, and my learning
remote picked them up fine.  So I don't believe it's fake.  I asked the
associate why it was on clearance, and he said they weren't selling well,
they've been on the shelves for awhile.  I think people either go to the
apple store for apple specifics (except ipod cause ipod is like a culture
phenom, whereas appletv not many people have heard of, that i've talked to)
in my area anyways.  Apple store always seems full when i walk by it in the
mall.  But I don't know, seems legit, for $160 thought it was a great deal.
About to boot it with my usb stick (had to reset my backend anyways so that
took me awhile cause i downloaded mythbuntu alternate by accident and  I
couldn't get that to work, and it took me 4 install tries before I realized
i didn't have dekstop).  Anyways, just wanted to pass on that if people were
thinking of buying one of these and where at Target anyways, to check it
out.  Open it in the store after purchase if you are concerned they aren't
real/full of newspapers.

> --
> Brad Fuller

Sincerely,