[mythtv-users] Help with hardware setup

Chaitanya Atluru chaituat at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 02:07:06 UTC 2008

Hi All,
       I just joined this mailing list, I have a couple of questions
regarding setting up the hardware for the mythtv. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

This is the setup I am looking for:

Backend:
 An Intel based 2+ Ghz processor, 1GB RAM and 500 GB harddisk. I am planning
to buy a HD TV tuner card. Any good Linux distribution and Mythtv source.

Frontend:
I have two HD tvs in two rooms, which are far away from the server. I plan
to buy two MediaMVP boxes (the new version, which has a 802.11g wireless
interface).
I am planning to stream video(and audio) to the HD tv's through these
MediaMVP boxes and these boxes recieve the stream on the wireless network.
(is my approach right?)

The questions I have is this:
1. Can I stream live TV to both the boxes at the same time? If both the
boxes intend to view a different channel at once, is it possible for mythtv
to decode two live channels with just one TV tuner card? or do I need two
different TV tuner cards?

2. Is the Backend system described above sufficient enough for operation in
point 1.

3. Is 802.11g sufficient to broadcast two channels to two different MVP
boxes.

4. How good is the MediaMVP box with mythtv.

5. I have seen some sites which say MediaMVP doesnt support all the features
of mythtv.

I am a novice in this area and am looking to setup a media server
environment in my home which can stream stored movies, live tv, video sites,
weather, news sites, photos to my two HD's. All my HD's are wall mounted and
I dont want to setup a PC as a frontend near them, rather a small box and
preferrably use wireless broadcast rather than a wired setup.

I would greatly appreciate if someone can suggest alternate hardwares too.

Thank You
Chaitanya