[mythtv-users] Apple TV almost working. Only a slight issue remains

Michael Brancato mike at mikebrancato.com
Fri Oct 17 21:41:35 UTC 2008

Scott D. Davilla wrote:
>> On 10/17/2008 11:40 AM, Michael Brancato wrote:
>>>  Mythfrontend
>>>  seems to use over 160MB in memory itself with HD content.  I'm afraid
>>>  the lack is ram is what is preventing me from enabling deinterlacing.
>> Note that choice of theme makes a /very/ big difference in the amount of
>> memory used by mythfrontend.  IIRC, Iulius is the "cheapest" theme.
>
> And don't forget about the xorg.conf trick to get the nvidia driver
> to not use system ram. This will free up another 64MB for system
> usage. Search the atv-bootloader discussion group and I think there's
> a mention in the blog.

I'm using the Mythcenter theme which seems really fast.

I have both settings that I've read are needed to reduce the shared
memory to 64MB...

In my xorg.conf Device section:
     Option         "RegistryDwords" "RMDisableRenderToSystem=1"

And for the nvidia module, I pass the following options:
options nvidia NVreg_RegistryDwords="PerfLevelSrc=0x2222" NVreg_Mobile=0

However, I still get:
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce Go 7300 (G72) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 131072 kBytes
(--) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 05.72.22.68.00

The underclocking script does seem to be working with a confirmation by
nvidia-settings.

Any clue why this doesn't work for me?  I'm running driver 177.

--
Mike Brancato, CISSP