[mythtv-users] No sound from DVD after Ubuntu 8.04 upgrade

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Fri Oct 17 15:30:50 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 10:56 PM,  <straurig at comcast.net> wrote:
> OK, I did break something after all :-)
>
> DVD playback results in no audio. internal player, 0.22 build 16578, Ubuntu 8.04.
>
> It ran fine in Ubuntu 7.10.
>
> The internal player plays the video just fine, accesses DVD menus just fine, all controls work OK, just no audio.
>
> Live TV and recorded TV work OK both video and audio, if that helps at all.
>
> DVDs play fine in Totem or Mplayer.
>
> Gentlemen, I am at your mercy. All help and suggestions most appreciated.

To keep the WAF up, you might be able to around the problem while you
debug by using an external player.  This *might* get you started (I
haven't tried it):

vlc -intf=dummy --fullscreen file://%s vlc:quit

Random stuff: What physical audio and video output are you using?
What modes (pulse/ALSA)?  I see past reports of DVD audio problems
with a PVR-350.
Good luck, and be sure to report back to this thread when you get it fixed!

   Marc