[mythtv-users] Getting this working should NOT be this hard!

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Oct 17 03:43:29 UTC 2008

On 10/16/2008 11:34 PM, Harry Devine wrote:
> Steve Heistand wrote:
>
>> } I don't see anything called interlacer. Is it the Playbback Profiles
>> } screen (screen 3)?  If so, I have mine set to Slim.
>>
>> edit the entries under slim page 2 and change to suit.
> Which page 2?  I see the profile as Slim, then a whole bunch of "if rez
>  >= 1280 720 -> ffmpeg & XVideo" type of stuff.  One of those?  Also,
> I've set the profile to every single one of those listed, and I get the
> same audio and video issues that I mentioned above.  Changing it has
> zero effect.

He's saying to go into the page on which you've selected Slim as your
Playback Profile /Group/ and then choosing a Playback Profile to edit.
The "if rez >= 1280 720 -> ffmpeg & XVideo" is the criteria for the
application of a Playback Profile from the selected Playback Profile
Group.  You edit the rule by hitting the Edit button next to the criteria.

That being said, you probably shouldn't ever edit the example playback
profile groups because after you do so, you'll say, "I'm using the Slim
profile group," and will--for all intents and purposes--be lying.
Instead, /if/ you decide to edit playback profiles, create a new group
and add profiles to it.  See
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Playback_profiles .

That being said, the default configuration of Slim is probably the best
choice of playback profile group for everyone to use--at least until
they get everything working properly.  It's the one that's most likely
to work correctly and it doesn't limit functionality (as the
hardware-assisted rendering in some of the other playback profile groups
does).  The deinterlacers specified for (the default configuration of)
Slim are some of the least processor intensive, so changing them will
likely make things worse.

Instead, I'd recommend checking--very carefully--to ensure you've
properly installed and configured your video card drivers.

Mike