[mythtv-users] What hardware do I need to be able to dual record using Comcast cable?

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Thu Oct 16 19:37:57 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 09:16 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:

> I suspect that going to 64-bits will not help all that much, at least
> that was the consensus a year ago or so.

Yeah, I seem to remember that, which is why I was asking. I have also
had bizarre issues on the 64-bit machines I have used at work, so thus
far I would really rather not go to 64-bits. The apps and OS are still
better supported on good old IA32. Are there really 32-bit chips out
there that are faster than a 3GHz P4? Any chance any of them would fit
in a 775 socket? :-)  Actually that question is serious although it
perhaps shows my ignorance of hardware issues. I'd love to upgrade my
CPU, but if I also have to get a new motherboard than I might as well
get a new case and a whole new machine and just move my disks, tuner
card, and video card to it. I am considering this because what I have
read leads me to believe that when I do try to play back those HD-PVR
clips, my machine will be too slow. And I really would like to replace
the Comcast crappy DVR with something that uses Myth, but there are a
lot of channels I like (such as ESPN, ESPN2, and Mojo which has the
local baseball and hockey games in HD) that I won't be able to bring
into Myth any other way.

--Greg