[mythtv-users] Problems with new setup???

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 11:45:43 UTC 2008

On 16/10/2008, Per Jørgensen <myth at pbj-design.dk> wrote:
> David Watkins wrote:

> >> Actually I was using this line:
> >>
> >> Finally, if you just want to restrict by IP subnet (in this example, the
> >> 192.168.1. network):

> >>    $ mysql -u root mythconverg
> >>    mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"172.16.20.%" identified by "mythtv";
> >>    mysql> flush privileges;
> >>
> >>    Which is my actual networksettings.
> >>    Since I'm running with 3 frontends - I'm needing to contact from the subnet!
> >>    But identified is the actual passwd you'll need to use. Thats also why I'm confused and don't understand why this ain't working
> >>

> > Can you connect to mysql from a remote machine?
> >
> Yes using root.
> > Can you connect to mysql locally as a different user?
> >
> yes also as the user root
> > Is your hosts file or DNS setup correct?
> >
> It is.
>
> > It was changing my subnet that got me into the same situation that you
> > seem to be in.  I started to come to the conclusion that the format of
> > the Grant commnad has changed since that wiki page was written, but I
> > don't know.  I did get it working in the end :-) somehow.
> >
> > Maybe someone who understands this stuff can chime in?
> >
> As far as I see - the problem is about granting the permissions.
> Even with a grant all - all privileges says N (in my belive no)
> So even mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"%" identified by
> "mythtv";
> Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
> stil gives me N in all privileges - damn !

See this

GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'someuser'@'somehost';
GRANT SELECT, INSERT ON *.* TO 'someuser'@'somehost';

from http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/grant.html

note the different use of quotes.

must be worth a try?  It was random fiddling with the command that got
me working.  But that was in the days before I started writing down
what I did.