[mythtv-users] What hardware do I need to be able to dual record using Comcast cable?

Adam Rosenfield adamrose at mit.edu
Thu Oct 16 01:23:53 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of setting up a MythTV box for use as a
DVR.  I have Comcast digital cable service.  Ideally, I'd like to be
able to record any channel I can get normally through the Comcast
set-top box in HD for HD channels, and I'd also like to be able to
record two channels at once.  From what I can gather, I'm guessing
that I won't be able to capture the HD streams, except for the
channels which are also broadcast OTA; is this correct?

Will I also need two separate STBs?  And if I need two STBs, will I
also need two video capture cards?  If I'm piping the streams right
from the STBs, it's all digital, so I only need a digital capture
card, right?  I doubt my CPU (a Pentium 4) can handle software HD
encoding, let alone dual encoding.

With that in mind, are there are specific capture cards you would
recommend?  My motherboard can only handle PCI, no PCI-Express.

Thanks,

-Adam