[mythtv-users] Quiet fans

Darrin mtv at aperature.org
Wed Oct 15 23:52:39 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 8:41 PM, Raphael <rpooser at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you have a motherboard which is more than two years old, like me,
> chances are none of your ports are PWM controlled and they simply put
> out a constant 12V (three pin connector) or only the processor fan
> header has PWM. In that case if you really want PWM control there's an
> easy howto I used from bit-tech:
> http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2001/12/03/pwm_fan_controller/1
>

> raphy

Nice.  If it were me, I'd complicate it a bit more and use an atmel avr tiny
to do the same thing.  Then, you have the ability to reprogram it to your
whims and no potentiometers are needed.  You could even change the ramp rate
on the pwm to be completely non-linear for your specific needs. The ATtiny24
could do the job, has an onboard temp sensor, built in PWM, and only costs
$1.91 from digi-key.