[mythtv-users] Intel based motherboards with DVI output.

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Wed Oct 15 11:52:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 13:22 +0200, Friedrich Clausen wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am quite keen on using an Intel based motherboard for the next
> iteration of my MythTV box due to the fact that Intel's Linux support
> is so good. This applies not only to graphics but also the network and
> wireless adapters. I have searched the archives and found some threads
> complaining about the lack of DVI on Intel mobos but no products were
> found to solve this except for the [1] Wintec ADD2 cards.
>
> So, my questions are:
>
> * Does anyone know of an Intel based mobo with DVI support?
> * Failing that - does the Wintec ADD2 card require special drivers?
> Ie. is there Linux support?

I have a system with a 965 Intel Chipset and an ADD2 Card.

http://www.youplala.net/linux/home-theater-pc#toc-prolink-add-7315-dvi-t-sdvoadd2-n-pci-express-x16-card-with-composite-s-video-hdtv-and-hdmi-outputs

You require nothing extra driver-wise.

Unfortunately, the driver was still not complete until the previous
version, at least, where HDMI/DVI was concerned. It had trouble with the
acquisition of the res and freq from my 1080p TV.

I am using an NVIDIA card in the mean time.

I've read good things about the lates Intel driver, so I will try again
next month when I go through an upgrade of my system to the next ubuntu
release.

        Hi, here's xf86-video-intel 2.4.0 release.

        Main new features included within this release are
        - New Intel 4 series chipset support
        - Improved 965 exa render performance
        - Integrated HDMI support
        - SDVO-HDMI support (e.g ASUS P5E-VM board)

In http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2008-July/037184.html

The driver is now at 2.4.2.

nico