[mythtv-users] xbmc killed my sound

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sun Oct 12 02:14:43 UTC 2008

On Oct 11, 2008, at 7:09 PM, Mark Boyum wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 8:45 PM, Andreas <linuxdreas at dslextreme.com>
> wrote:
> Am Saturday 11 October 2008 17:05:56 schrieb Brad DerManouelian:
> > I'm running Ubuntu Hardy. With all this talk about how great xbmc
> is,
> > I decided to give it a try. I installed it and couldn't get much
> > working (for instance, I had sound in the interface, but no videos
> > would play back with sound, I couldn't get it to talk to the Myth
> uPNP
> > server, etc, etc.)
>
> I just installed it too, with mixed results. But then again, it's in
> beta
> status, and the Linux branch seems a rather recent development.
>
> > so I go back to my myth frontend and now I don't
> > have sound *anywhere*. I uninstalled xbmc and still no sound. I
> > noticed xbmc installed pulseaudio. I uninstalled that. I still
> have no
> > sound.
>
> Must be a Ubuntu thing. XBMC does not require pulse audio. At least
> not on my
> openSUSE installation, and also not according to their website:
> http://xbmc.org/wiki/?title=HOW-TO_compile_XBMC_for_Linux_from_source_code
> and especially
> http://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/xbmc/branches/linuxport/XBMC/README.linux
>
> > I've been hacking at this for a few hours now and I'm about to
> > reformat my machine just to get my audio back. Any help is
> appreciated.
>
> I have absolutely no idea about Ubuntu (or any debian &
> derivatives) , but
> maybe you can force a re-install of all the "sound stuff",
> particularly alsa,
> the sounddriver's firrmware,  and libasound? And I see lots of
> references to
> a file "asoundrc" when people report sound problems here. Just
> search the
> mailing list archives for more infos.

Yeah, I've been through all this stuff over the past 3 years with
mythtv, but this was my first ubuntu no sound experience and couldn't
fix it. I found a post on the ubuntu forums from August where someone
had the exact same problem I did (xbmc, then no sound). He ended up
reinstalling ubuntu - and it happened again to him. So I've decided to
just reinstall and not try xbmc again. :)

-Brad