[mythtv-users] Apple TV almost working. Only a slight issue remains

Michael Brancato mike at mikebrancato.com
Sat Oct 11 17:39:51 UTC 2008

 >So, you have no problems whatsoever with the program guide? It's slow
 >as helle everywhere (live tv, gui)

 >Little OT and sorry I can't help. But would you (or anyone) mind
 >sharing your xorg.conf I have not been able to get 720p or 1080i out
of my appletv either component or hdmi. I'm driving a samsung 19" lcd
 >that's capable of 1080p. It would be much appreciated and good luck
 >with the sound.

Sorry, I'm a digest reader, you may need to reply-to-all...

 From what I can tell, the guide has no delay (except maybe 2 seconds
re-generating the current channel's preview).  Blazing fast.

That said, I made the huge mistake of picking a poor theme, and
everything was slow.  Everything from just moving through the menu's, to
playing TV.  I switched from Blootube to Mythcenter, and things became
10x faster in all respects for mythtv.  I believe a good part of that
was it went from using 60%+ RAM to using around 40% only be switching
themes.  I thing Mythbuntu or Retro would have similar results.  I think
swaping out of ram was causing huge performance issues.

I'm running 1080i through component.  I do have to adjust for overscan,
but thats my TV's fault.  I just adjust the GUI size to 1720x954 (that's
what works for my TV (6yo Toshiba 57in HDTV, no DVI).You can find most
of what you need to tweak on the atv-bootloader website.  My Xorg config
follows:

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister at builder57)  Thu Sep 18
17:19:17 PDT 2008

Section "ServerLayout"
     Identifier     "Layout0"
     Screen      0  "Screen0"
     InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
     Load           "dbe"
     Load           "extmod"
     Load           "type1"
     Load           "freetype"
     Load           "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
     # generated from default
     Identifier     "Mouse0"
     Driver         "mouse"
     Option         "Protocol" "auto"
     Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
     Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
     Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
     # generated from default
     Identifier     "Keyboard0"
     Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
     Identifier     "Monitor0"
     VendorName     "Unknown"
     ModelName      "Unknown"
     HorizSync       30.0 - 110.0
     VertRefresh     50.0 - 150.0
     Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
     Identifier     "Device0"
     Driver         "nvidia"
     VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
     Option         "RegistryDwords" "RMDisableRenderToSystem=1"

EndSection

Section "Screen"
     Identifier     "Screen0"
     Device         "Device0"
     Monitor        "Monitor0"
     DefaultDepth    24
     Option         "DPI" "100x100"
     Option         "UseDisplayDevice" "TV-0"
     Option         "TVOutFormat" "COMPONENT"
     Option         "NoLogo" "True"
     Option         "XvmcUsesTextures" "True"
     Option         "AddARGBVisuals" "1"
     Option         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "1"
     Option         "NvAGP" "1"
     Option         "TVStandard" "HD1080i"