[mythtv-users] NAS power supply

Jeff Walther trag at io.com
Fri Oct 10 19:55:57 UTC 2008

> Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:51:47 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "Yan Seiner" <yan at seiner.com>

>> Those are Factory Recertified units
>>
>> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ST3750330AS-R&cat=HDD
>
> I got burned real badly long ago on cheap drives.  No more - they're so
> cheap that saving a few bucks more isn't worth it.
>
> I want real drives, with real 5 year warranties, not 'recertified' drives
> with expired or 30 day warranties.

And it only takes one or two returns to Geeks and the savings are blown by
your cost of shipping.   I bought a refurbished optical drive (DVD-RW)
there to save $10 last summer.   It wouldn't even read a CD-ROM.   By the
time I returned the thing, etc. I could have just bought a later model
brand new drive direct from Pioneer for what that "bargain" really cost
me.

I'm done with refurbished drives of any kind.

That said, the new Seagate 750 GB drives were down to $90 at Frys at one
point, around Memorial Day IIRC.   Or was that $100?   I don't think
they've been that affordable since, but I think the 1 TB drives have
dipped down to $130 a couple of times recently.

Jeff Walther