[mythtv-users] Quiet fans

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Fri Oct 10 14:30:01 UTC 2008

John Drescher wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 7:42 AM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a backend case with 4 noisy fans.  The noise is getting pretty
>> annoying since the backend is in my study....
>>
>> Does anyone know of thermostatically controlled quiet fans?  I'm looking
>> for some thing that only cranks up when the case temp goes up; ideally
>> something that stays at a low RPM until things heat up and then starts
>> speeding up.
>>

> You can find fans with thermal sensors on them or but a fan control
> unit. In most cases I find the first not as configurable as I want and
> the second to be too much of an added expense so when I have a fan
> noise problem I use the +7V mod like the link below and it
> signifigantly cuts the noise but still provides adequate cooling for
> my systems.
>

> http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=372297
>
> The one that I have done most often is here:
> http://www.bobtod.com/Overclocking/Pics/Molex7v.jpg

Cool!  Thanks.  I'll try that.  I have plenty of air - the case has 4 -
80 mm fans, and it doesn't really generate that much heat.  I can't use
software control as there just aren't enough headers on the mobo.

Plus this has the advantage of being cheap.   :-)

On reading that, have you ever had it blow up a PS?  I am using a
mid-range Silverstone, so that certainly doesn't fall into the 'cheap'
category, but still....

--Yan