[mythtv-users] Debian "etch" (stable) -> Qt4.3

Friedrich Clausen fred at derf.nl
Fri Oct 10 10:54:48 UTC 2008

Hello,

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Greg Grotsky <spikeygg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, I was having problems with my old hard drive so I bought a new one
> and I'm reinstalling Debian on it.  I downloaded and installed Etch (Stable)
> 4.0r4.  I am trying to comple mythtv and it's complaining about my Qt
> version, saying that I need to have 4.3 or newer.  In aptitude it says that
> my Qt version is 4.2 and there are no newer versions available.  What is the
> best way to go about getting a newer version?  Should I change from "stable"
> to "testing"?  If so, how do I change my installation to a "testing" version
> from a "stable" version?

I would indeed suggest changing from stable to testing. An alternative
would be to use version pinning but that can be difficult to maintain.
To use version pinning see:

http://wiki.debian.org/AptPinning

But I would suggest just switch to testing, you can do this by opening
/etc/apt/source.list and changing all instances of "stable" or "etch"
to read "testing". Then, to upgrade your entire system, do

# apt-get update
# apt-get dist-upgrade

if you have small, minimally installed system then this should present
no problems. But it could also go wrong - YMMV.

Good luck,

Fred.