[mythtv-users] a better tuner for SD

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Oct 8 20:17:14 UTC 2008

Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 October 2008 13:09, Brian Wood wrote:
>> The PVR encoder has a lot of tweaks which may help on that end of the
>> equation:
>>
>> http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/V4l2-ctl
>
> I have read and tried some of these settings, but it's mostly voodoo to me. In
> checking again I see each of my tuners report 99% Signal strength
> (v4l2-ctl --all) so if that's correct then my signal is not an issue. Now I'd
> like a clue about what the other things mean and what I could do with them.

That's a tall order. You first have to learn about mpeg2, and how it
works. Perhaps a site like:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/papers/paper_14/paper_14.shtml

As a start.

There are several things you can tweak, luminance, chrominance
parameters in both the temporal and the spatial domains.

Unfortunately a lot of the best stuff on the subject is copyrighted, and
not available free. Tektronix has some good books, as do some of the
other encoder and test equipment makers.

Google around, you might find some free stuff though.

beww