[mythtv-users] a better tuner for SD

Magnus magnus at yonderway.com
Wed Oct 8 18:21:52 UTC 2008

Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> I have a Hauppage PVR-500 card that has been serviceable for two years, and
> has gotten better with the Playback Settings in MythTV 0.21. The picture has
> never been as crisp or sharp as on TVs, but all the other PVR benefits have
> made up for that. I've fiddled with various recommended settings, and I think
> I have the best I can get with what I have. I only have analog cable SD and
> not interested in upgrading from that.
>
> What would be a better tuner card? Is there one?

HD Homerun.

It's not just for HD content.

For OTA, I wouldn't touch an analog tuner anymore since everything is
switching to digital now anyway.

For cable, it's a mixed bag that depends a lot on the whims of your
cable carrier (i.e. what content are they encrypting vs. providing in
the clear).

Another good option, if you've got cable, is to lease a firewire tuner
box from your cable carrier.  Again, its value to you will depend
greatly upon how much content they allow to pass through the firewire
port.  Pretty much count on the premium channels (like HBO and such) to
be blocked.  The standard cable channels may or may not be blocked.
Local channels *should not* be blocked but there are plenty of stories
out there about misbehaving cable carriers blocking them anyway.